On the 5th of July, 2002, STAR-Dundee came in to existence. This month we are celebrating our 15th Birthday!
Our Chief Operating Officer Stuart Mills said:
‘I don’t think any of the company founders would have imagined how the company would grow in those 15 years, and the many successes we would have in that time. I’m sure they are all as proud as I am that, despite many changes, the company still maintains the same principles as we had when we were first established.’
We would like to share 15 of our highlights with you:
- On the 5th of July 2002 STAR-Dundee came in to existence and on the 30th of July STAR-Dundee spun out of the University of Dundee.
- On the 1st of December 2002 STAR-Dundee won a SMART Award from the Scottish Executive. This £45,000 grant was to help fund the development of a SpaceWire Link Analyser. Steve Parkes, was presented with the SMART award by Deputy First Minister and Minister for Enterprise and Lifelong Learning Jim Wallace in Glasgow.
- On the 23rd of January 2003 the SpaceWire standard, ECSS E50-12A, was issued by the European Cooperation for Space Standardization.
- On the 18th of March 2005 the Space Technology Centre at the University of Dundee was opened by Lord Sainsbury.
- On the 22nd of May 2006 STAR-Dundee was awarded a second SMART Award to fund SpaceWire developments. Stuart Mills, STAR-Dundee’s Chief Operating Officer, was presented with the aSMART Awardward by Allan Wilson MSP, Deputy Minister for Enterprise and Lifelong Learning, in Glasgow.
- On the 17th to 19th of September 2007 STAR-Dundee assisted in hosting the first SpaceWire Conference in Dundee.
- In February 2010 the remote memory access protocol (RMAP) standard was published.
- On the 15th of December 2011 STAR-Dundee started to sell licences for PANGU – Planet and Asteroid Natural scene Generation Utility, developed by our colleagues at the Space Technology Centre within the University of Dundee for the European Space Agency.
- On the 15th of May 2012 we moved to STAR House!
- On the 2nd of July 2012 we celebrated our 10th Birthday and Steve Parkes was honoured by the Royal Aeronautical Society in awarding him a Specialist Bronze Award for his instrumental role in the inception, development and continuing success of the SpaceWire Standard.
- On the 8th of Feburary 2013 we enjoyed a SpaceFibre Eureka moment, when we worked with engineers from Japan to test interoperability of independent implementations of SpaceFibre IP cores.
- On the 1st of November 2013 STAR-Dundee was awarded Business of the Year at the Courier Business Awards 2013 in Dundee.
- On the 11th of September 2014 STAR-Dundee was named Scottish Business of the year at the Scottish Chambers of Commerce Scottish Business Honours 2014.
- On the 10th to 12th of May 2016 STAR-Dundee Premiered SpaceFibre Multi-Laning at DASIA 2016.
- In July 2017 we celebrate our 15th Birthday and look forward to many more exciting things planned for 2017 and beyond!