The SpaceWire PXI card is a versatile SpaceWire Interface, Router or RMAP target device. The card is designed to be an efficient host interface to a SpaceWire system or network, by utilising a cPCI or PXI backplane.
The PXI card takes advantage of STAR-Dundee’s SpaceWire Router technology which allows the card to act as an efficient host interface with direct access to the SpaceWire ports, or as a SpaceWire Router where packets can be routed between the SpaceWire ports or between the PXI interface and the SpaceWire ports.
The SpaceWire PXI card is available in three formats; SpaceWire Interface, SpaceWire Router and SpaceWire Interface with RMAP Target. The SpaceWire Interface and SpaceWire Interface with RMAP Target cards are available in 4 or 8 HP (Horizontal Pitch) wide formats. All available options are listed below:
- SpaceWire Interface: 4 port SpaceWire Interface device with 4 data channels and 1 control channel for direct access to the SpaceWire ports through the PXI interface. Available as 4 HP wide card or 8 HP wide card. The 8 HP card has 4 general purpose bi-directional triggers on the front panel
- SpaceWire Interface with RMAP Target: 4 port SpaceWire Interface device with 4 embedded configurable Remote Memory Access Protocol (RMAP) targets and 1GByte of DDR3 memory. Available as 4 HP wide card or 8 HP wide card. The 8 HP card has 4 general purpose bi-directional triggers on the front panel
- SpaceWire Router: 12 port SpaceWire Router device available as an 8 HP wide card
The SpaceWire PXI cards provide four or twelve SpaceWire interfaces, support for high speed data transfer, the capability to inject various types of errors on demand, the ability to transmit and receive time-codes and act as a time-code master, and comes complete with highly optimised host software for low latency transmission of SpaceWire packets directly to and from the host PC.
The SpaceWire PXI cards can take advantage of the trigger connections on the PXI card front panel to sequence events in the card such as the transmission of time-codes or data packets. The interface card has four general purpose SMB trigger connectors which can be used to sequence data transfers and events, and indicate events to an external device such as an oscilloscope.
The RMAP target card has an option to directly connect up to four configurable RMAP targets to the SpaceWire interfaces to allow the card to act as a test card for remote memory transfers. Each RMAP target can be controlled and configured independently, and has access of up to 1GByte of on board DDR3 memory.
The SpaceWire PXI cards are supported by STAR-Dundee’s software stack, STAR-System, providing a consistent programming interface for accessing all STAR-Dundee’s most recent, and future, router and interface devices.
NOTE: The SpaceWire PXI supersedes the SpaceWire cPCI Mk2. As both the SpaceWire cPCI Mk2 and SpaceWire PXI use the same STAR-System software stack, migrating software written for the SpaceWire cPCI Mk2 to the SpaceWire PXI is quite straightforward. If you are an existing user of the SpaceWire cPCI Mk2 and do require more of these devices for backwards compatibility, please contact STAR-Dundee.
Provides a host PC with up to four or twelve SpaceWire interfaces
Simple connection to a host controller card through the cPCI or PXI interface
Many independent data channels allowing full data transfer on up to four ports on the PXI Interface card, and eight ports on the PXI Router card
Device configuration is supported through an additional control channel.
RMAP Target option which provides up to four embedded RMAP Targets with access to up to 1GByte of on board DDR3 memory
New software tools for time-code control and scripting of RMAP operations
High performance driver maintains high data rates from SpaceWire links directly into main memory of host PC
Software and accessories included:
- Windows drivers (Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Vista, XP)
- Linux drivers (4.x, 3.x and 2.6 kernels)
- API with example code and guidance
- User manuals (including hardware, software, and API)
- USB cable
- 1 year’s technical support and maintenance
- QNX, VxWorks and LabVIEW available seperatly
- Part Numbers
SpaceWire Interface 4HP 143a SpaceWire Interface 8HP 143 SpaceWire Interface with RMAP Target 4HP 144a SpaceWire Interface with RMAP Target 8HP 144 SpaceWire Router 146
Standard 3U PXI board approx 100mm by 160mm
+3.3V supplied via cPCI or PXI backplane
- SpaceWire Ports
Compliant to SpaceWire Standard ECSS-E-ST-50-12C (formerly ECSS-E50-12A) and provides support for RMAP (ECSS-E-ST-50-52C)
Number of SpaceWire Ports: 4 or 12
Maximum Speed: 200 Mbits/s
Connectors: 9-pin micro-miniature D-type
LVDS signalling: Standard LVDS